Monday, May 7, 2007

response to the metropolitan museum

I went to the Metropolitan museum in DC. during spring break. My first impression was its grand appearance and the vast variety of sections to choose from. I did not have time to go through everything, so I looked at the areas that I find interesting. One of the sections I went to was the music section where I saw many musical instruments. What fascinated me most is the fancy and antique harpsichord. Since I am a music major, I always wanted to see real harpsicords and stare closely at the actual designs on the instrument. It was very detailed, complicated, and obviously antique looking. Another section that I looked at was the armor section. Back in Thailand, I have only seen armors in movies and I thought that it would be nice to see an actual armor. But when I saw the armors right in front of me, I felt horrified. True, that they were bold and artistic, but I kept thinking about the purpose that people wore it- to go to battlefields which lead to bloodshed. I felt depressed and moved on to other sections. For the rest of the time, I did not have a clear sense of direction. I simply walked around, looked at the different objects in front of me, and finally after about three hours I left the museum. This experience was definitely memorable and in a way, overwhelming at the same time.

No comments: