Monday, February 5, 2007

Response to the Janett Cardiff radio interview

Listening to Cardiff’s radio interview, I was fascinated by the techniques and reasons that Cardiff uses for creating the different kinds of sounds. Then as I loosened myself and listened to Cardiff’s recording I could imagine myself following her voice and taking a walk with her. I liked that the events happen in chronological order, starting from walking out the door to the garden, and seeing things along the way. The sound of the birds and the footsteps in the background enrich the environment, while Cardiff’s voice in the foreground stands out and makes sense of what is naturally going on.

To me, Cardiff excellently uses the three-spatial structure in balancing the sounds to make them real. Moving the sounds around, or bringing them from a distance, Cardiff effectively adds more depth in creating a setting of where the listener is and motions that are going on at the moment.

No comments: